07 Aug 7 tips to make the 5:2 digital diet work for you
The 5:2 diet – eating normally five days a week and “fasting” on 500-600 calories on the other two – has taken the diet world by storm in recent years. Millions of people all round the world have found it a manageable way to take control of their diet and get back to health.
But what if there was a way to take this principle and apply it to another unhealthy area of our lives?
Enter, the 5:2 digital diet.
We’ve revealed before how a digital detox does wonders for your mind and body, and you can reap real benefits by banning gadgets even just two days a week.
Here are our top 7 tips for starting a 5:2 digital diet:
1. Start with a 6:1 digital diet. A digital detox is harder than most people think so we recommend starting with just one day a week. Once you’ve mastered that you can challenge yourself further by adding day two.
2. Do it at the weekend. Although two consecutive days, we think digitally detoxing at the weekend is the best way to do work the 5:2 digital diet into your life as the general pace of the world slows down.
3. Get your family and friends involved. Just like with a regular diet, you’ll find a digital detox easier if those around you are doing it too. Support each other when one of you is tempted to reach for the iPad and you’ll get through the tough moments together.
4. Plan fun things to do. Keeping yourself busy is a great distraction and if you’ve got lots of fun activities prepared (we recommend colouring, gardening or knitting), you’ll probably find yourself looking forward to your detox days! Dr Richard Graham, a child and adolescent psychiatrist who launched the first technology-addiction programme, told the Guardian: “You need to experience that difficult period and to create offline activities that feel different but pleasurable.”
5. Get an alarm clock. The majority of us use our phones as alarm clocks, but if you invest in a simple alarm clock (we recommend this one) you can turn your phone off the night before your detox day and avoid temptation in the morning.
6. Stay active! Being physically active – ideally outside – will remind you how good it feels to use your body.
7. Get an analogue camera. We LOVE photography and capturing the beauty of the world is one of our fave ways to engage with nature – just make sure you leave your phone behind and grab an old-school camera instead!
So, why not start this weekend?